1.14.2006

Sushi for Beginners

Didn't get to go to the match today which was disappointing. Celtic won 4-2. Thats six goals!!!! Must've been a belter of a game. I'm think I'm gonna subscribe to Channl67 so I can watch the full match online at midnight. So because I didn't go to the match I decided to use one of my christmas presents and in honour of Nakamura I'd learn how to make sushi. There's a cool asian market cash and carry type thing up behind Caledonian University in Glasgow so I was able to stock up on the basic ingredients (wasabi, gari, sushi rice, rice vinegar) for low low prices. Note to self: The beer was very cheap there, go back and buy some.

So this afternoon I whiled away the hours perfecting my vinegared rice (shari). Didn't realise how sticky the rice gets once it cools so I ended up getting it everywhere!!! I've made a bit of a mess of the kitchen too but I'm very happy with my creations (see picture). I focused on making the nigiri-sushi this time and used some prawns, crabsticks and cucumber for the toppings. I'll venture into maki and california rolls next week and if I can find a good fishshop nearby I can get adventurous with the toppings.

I ate, it tasted great and I didn't die so I'm declaring my first sushi making experience a success!