1.12.2006

Things I have learnt

As I may have mentioned before, I got engaged over the Christmas holidays (on Christmas Day to be precise - I'm romantic like that). Myself and fiancée are very excited about it and it looks like 2006 is going to be a fun and busy year. However, as the naive groom I have learnt that under no circumstances do you make jokes about the wedding arrangements.........ever.

Example:

The women folk (Fiancée, my mother, fiancée's mother) have taken on all wedding planning arrangements but I was told I would be allowed to pick the wedding cars.

"Awesome, how about hummers?"

I'm no longer in charge of picking the cars.

Anyway as if getting married wasn't enough I've decided upon a few things to do in 2006 as part of my New Year's resolutions (I've noticed in Scotland that New Year is WAY more important than it is in Ireland. Everyone has made a point of shaking my hand and saying Happy New Year to me. Back home, waving a pint in someones general direction with a shout of "Alright Big Man!" will suffice). Back to the resolutions:

Get better at poker
(I'm winning a couple of $1 NL Single-Table Tournaments on Paddy Power Poker at the moment but not enough to start saying I'm in anyway good at the game)

Play more 11-a-side football
(or fitba to use the vernacular)

Learn Japanese
(just in case Naka calls round)

Meet the Neighbours
(5 months in new flat and haven't progressed past saying hello in the close).

Go to an away match with the hoops.
(I've been too lazy to bother so far this season)