3.30.2006

The road forward

Not too long ago I found myself sleeping in too often, not getting to work as early as I'd like and the relentless pile up of bills, tasks and things I wanted to accomplish getting on top of me. This was not a good state to be in so it was time for a change. I've tried to cut out watching tv just for the sake of it and tend only to watch when there's something I REALLY want to watch like a football match or a specific movie. I've a stack of books on my bedside cabinet that I'm starting to work through instead. This stack includes my national geographic subscription which had begun to arrive every month like a big chunk of yellow guilt in brown paper pointing at me accusingly and highlighting my inactivity. This week has been about getting up early and taking the time to get ready for work, prepare my lunch and head to the office as close to 8 O'Clock as possible. This has really helped me get through my workload and I feel I'm accomplishing alot more and then feel more satisfied at the end of the day.

I've never been a heavy sleeper and I hate going to bed early. I tend to wait until I feel like I'm going to fall asleep and then take that as the indicator of it being time for bed rather than any pre-scheduled bedtime. By combining this with a set wakeup call of 7.00am I'm trying to instill a bit of self-discipline and develop a sleeping pattern that I can carry forward. While navigating through a couple of blogs tonight I coincidentally came acrossSteve Pavlina's How to be an Early Riser post which reinforces a lot of the ideas I'm trying to implement. If its caught your imagination there's also a part two. If, grasshopper, you master these disciplines then you are ready to ascend to the next level and read his self disicpline posts